The international academic practice conference “Multiculturalism. Gender. Identity. Queer research in the post-soviet region”
Multiculturalism, active search for one’s own identity, discussions on gender issues and striving for gender equality are characteristics of the post-Soviet region at the moment. Queer studies introduce a new approach to these challenges. Its opportunities and peculiarities are yet to be comprehended in the midst of the overall gender approach, remaining almost terra incognita in the academic circles of the post-Soviet region.
The Faculty of Sociology of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv does not stay on the sidelines of this process and invites researchers to take part in the conference that concurs with the introduction in the University of Ukrainian first MA program Gender studies, which will give a new impetus to the research and implementation of gender-sensitive approach in education, as well as draw attention to gender issues in the society.
The conference aims at:
- (a) to map the queer studies field in the post-Soviet region, (b) to define the peculiarities of gender theory and gender studies development in the circumstances of post-communist transformations and in a multicultural environment;
- to describe the peculiarities of gender identities transformation and the development of gender studies as integration processes in the international academic community;
- to define own content of queer studies and their context in the modern post-communist societies;
- to discuss the trends of contemporary gender education and integration of research results into teaching and learning processes.
Main conference themes:
- queer theory and methodology of queer studies: post-colonial dimension
- construction and representation of queer identities
- power and normativity
- multiculturalism and gender identities
- integration of queer studies in the teaching/learning process
- queer pedagogy and gender-sensitive pedagogy as an approach to teaching socio-humanistic sciences in higher education institutions
Forms of participation in the conference: presentation of the scholarly papers, debate, participation in the discussion.
Scientists, scholars, teachers, students, postgraduate students, journalists, researchers from post-Soviet countries in various fields (Sociology, Political Studies, Pedagogy, Philosophy, Philology etc.) are welcome to take part in the conference.
Working languages: Ukrainian, Russian, English
A collection of the conference materials will be published after the conference
Application and abstract submissions due – March 31, 2017
Send the abstracts to firstname.lastname@example.org
Notification about the results of participants selection – April 15, 2017
Full text for the publication due June 30, 2017
CONFERENCE PARTICIPATION REQUIREMENTS
To participate in the conference, please submit an abstract in Ukrainian, Russian or English not longer than 2 pages and an application.
- Abstract requirements
Length – 2 pages, A4 paper size with 2 cm margins all around. Times New Roman typeface, size 12, single-spaced. The title must be in bold, uppercase and centered. File format must be MS Word: .doc or .rtf. The file names of the abstract and the application must include the participants last name, for instance: Petrenko_abstract.doc, Petrenko_application.doc
In the top right corner of the abstract must be the author’s last name and initials, country. Below is the email. Leave one blank line after the email and then give the abstract title on the next line. Then goes the abstract text.
Abstract formatting requirements:
1) switch off hyphenation;
2) the first line indent of every paragraph is made not with “spaces,” but automatically via Microsoft Word menu (Format – Paragraph – Indents and Spacing);
3) graphics and diagrams have to be made in the Microsoft Word application – Microsoft Graph;
4) there should be no more than one space between two words; extra spaces between words are undesirable.
The list of references is provided at the end of the abstract, alphabetically. For a citation to a literature reference, state the last name of the author, year of printing and page number in brackets, for instance: [Petrenko, 2010, p.10].
2. Application requirements:
1. Full name of the participant.
2. Relevant area of knowledge.
3. Name of the organization (university) and its address.
4. Position held and academic degree (if applicable).
5. Home address (with the ZIP code).
6. Contact phone number.
7. Contact e-mail.
8. Extra technical equipment required for the presentation.
Travel (train second class and economy plane tickets) expenses will be reimbursed and accommodation (in the hotel of Taras Shevchenko University) will be provided by the conference organizers.
Contact for additional information: Anna Dovgopol