Multiculturalism, active search for one’s own identity, discussions on gender issues and striving for gender equality are characteristics of the post-Soviet region at the moment. Queer studies introduce a new approach to these challenges. Its opportunities and peculiarities are yet to be comprehended in the midst of the overall gender approach, remaining almost terra incognita in the academic circles of the post-Soviet region.
The Faculty of Sociology of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv does not stay on the sidelines of this process and invites researchers to take part in the conference that concurs with the introduction in the University of Ukrainian first MA program Gender studies, which will give a new impetus to the research and implementation of gender-sensitive approach in education, as well as draw attention to gender issues in the society.
The conference aims at:
- (a) to map the queer studies field in the post-Soviet region, (b) to define the peculiarities of gender theory and gender studies development in the circumstances of post-communist transformations and in a multicultural environment;
- to describe the peculiarities of gender identities transformation and the development of gender studies as integration processes in the international academic community;
- to define own content of queer studies and their context in the modern post-communist societies;
- to discuss the trends of contemporary gender education and integration of research results into teaching and learning processes.
Main conference themes:
- queer theory and methodology of queer studies: post-colonial dimension
- construction and representation of queer identities
- power and normativity
- multiculturalism and gender identities
- integration of queer studies in the teaching/learning process
- queer pedagogy and gender-sensitive pedagogy as an approach to teaching socio-humanistic sciences in higher education institutions
Working languages: Ukrainian, Russian, English
Contact for additional information: Anna Dovgopol